The New BKG: Stronghold Game Lounge

What's new in the Black Knight Games store?

The New BKG: Stronghold Game Lounge

Postby The Black Knight on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:09 pm

So we have officially announced the new gaming area that we are planning. The Stronghold Game Lounge will more than double the amount of space we have for gaming in the store. At the moment we have the funds to get the renovation completed, to fill the room with gaming tables, chairs, and to make the space nice, clean, and well-lit. We will be launching a fundraising campaign shortly where you can donate to the new space, and together we can make the space way cooler.

Donors will get perks like Stronghold Memberships, exclusive T-Shirts/Playmats/Dice, and some really great prizes like Free Tournaments for a Year, based on how much they donate.

Together all donors will add to the total amount raised, and we will (hopefully) reach goals. Each goal reached will add something amazing to the space.

So far we would like to add things like:
-Comfy lounge area to relax in
-A video-game console to play games when not...playing games.
-A Foosball Table
-Great art on the walls to make the atmosphere even better.
-Expanded food & drink options (like small microwavable meals, hot drinks like coffee & tea, etc.)
-Premium Wargaming Tables with amazing scenery that will be permanent displays, and only usable on request (this will keep them in beautiful condition).
-A customized board game and/or RPG table.
-A video system with screens around the room, used for video, posting match-ups or round-times in tournaments, BKG promotions etc.
-A separate sound-system.

-[and drumroll please...] A fully licensed bar, allowing our members to have a beer with their game of Warhammer or Magic on designated game nights!

But wait, you say, I forgot the one thing that will make this new gaming area amazing? Well that's why we're here! Let us know your thoughts on the space.

If you have a great idea for either something that we could do to make this the ultimate gaming lounge, or some great perk or give-away that we can use to entice you to donate let us know! Come on, do it! We'll never have that life-sized Space Marine that shoots cans of Pepsi out of his bolter unless you suggest it.

~The Black Knight
"NONE SHALL PASS...Unless they plan on buying something..."
~The Black Knight
The Black Knight
Forum Warlord
Forum Warlord

Re: The New BKG: Stronghold Game Lounge

Postby Dark.Apostle on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:53 am

Sweet Mother of all that is Dark and Evil! I cannot wait to see what this turns out to be. I will be donating as soon as I can that's for sure!

This is a huge step forward. Congrats to Jay and the BK Staff for getting this going!
Talk-Action=0
Dark.Apostle
Swordmaster
Swordmaster

Postby Nate_91 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:55 am

Can I rent it out for my Man birthday party when its done? i am telling the wife thats what I want right now!!!
Nate_91
Lowly Orc
Lowly Orc

Postby The Black Knight on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 am

Nate_91: Absolutely, our plan is to make the space available to be booked. So your man-birthday-party will certainly have a home here ;)

Dark.Apostle: Thanks! We can't wait, it's actually torture for me having to wait and wait while silly things like 'building permits' and 'architectural plans' are handled. Actually the biggest pain is not knowing how far my money will go! We secured a pretty significant amount of moolah for it, but a big project like this is a massive wild-card. I might personally only have enough to get the space finished, or there might be some left over for some of the many sweet ideas that we mentioned previously. That is where you guys come in, so it's good to have your support and future donation!
~The Black Knight
The Black Knight
Forum Warlord
Forum Warlord

Postby Nate_91 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:41 pm

I dont know if it will help outside of donating but what if you had people volunteer to do some of the grunt work and reno work it could A)cut down on costs B)cut down on time C)give you more money for making it even more awesome with the finishes and tables and so forth!
Nate_91
Lowly Orc
Lowly Orc

Postby Forge on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Nate_91 wrote:I dont know if it will help outside of donating but what if you had people volunteer to do some of the grunt work and reno work it could A)cut down on costs B)cut down on time C)give you more money for making it even more awesome with the finishes and tables and so forth!

I was thinking on the same thing. But I'll still donate. Which comes to my question: why IndieGoGo and not Kickstarter?
I would like the wargaming tables to have a shelf underneath to place models, gaming aids, foam trays...
A place to hang coats would also be nice, even without the bar. Perhaps even lockers to rent so we could leave some of our miniatures/gaming accessories there to use another day...
Forge
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Knights_of_nee on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:09 am

Forge wrote:
Nate_91 wrote:I dont know if it will help outside of donating but what if you had people volunteer to do some of the grunt work and reno work it could A)cut down on costs B)cut down on time C)give you more money for making it even more awesome with the finishes and tables and so forth!

I was thinking on the same thing. But I'll still donate. Which comes to my question: why IndieGoGo and not Kickstarter?
I would like the wargaming tables to have a shelf underneath to place models, gaming aids, foam trays...
A place to hang coats would also be nice, even without the bar. Perhaps even lockers to rent so we could leave some of our miniatures/gaming accessories there to use another day...

There are lockers down stairs to rent, but all of the other Ideas are fantasitic.

Knights_of_nee
Standard Bearer

Postby Inquisitor 7 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:25 am

all of those lockers are already sold out and have a current waiting list.
Innocence is Irrelevant.
Inquisitor 7
Forum Usurper
Forum Usurper

Postby Tim the Enchanter on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:49 am

We are thinking about adding more lockers to the new area, so that's an exciting thought. As with everything it's going to depend a little bit on the how far our funding goes, and how much support we can get from our community.

In terms of helping with renovations or demolitions, we'd love to have volunteer help, but it's going to depend a little bit on what the contractors say. We only want to do what's safe and responsible, but stay tuned for a call to action!

Also, regarding the Kickstarter vs Indigogo options, Kickstarter would reach a larger market, but we expect a lot of our support to be locally directed. Because of this we went with the option that doesn't require a US bank account, from either us or contributors.
Tim the Enchanter
Forum Minion
Forum Minion

Postby The Black Knight on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:48 am

It's great to have the conversation rolling here, thanks for all the input!

Lockers - I am considering more lockers, the possible issue is that I want to make sure that they are accessible at all times, the current lockers in the basement are. If I were to add them to this new space it is possible that there would be times here and there where the new area is closed (on a quite day for example, or if we are short on staff) and in those situations the Stronghold Game Lounge would be locked. But if we can find a way around that, and if there is additional wall space I would certainly like to add some more lockers!

Indiegogo VS Kickstarter - I agree that typically Kickstarter would be the way to go. It is after all far bigger, and almost a household name at this point. However they have some restrictions and hoops you need to jump through if you aren't American. For a Canadian to host a campaign they need to establish a US bank account, among other nuisances. Indiegogo does not require that, and it also take a smaller percentage of the money enabling us to keep more towards the project. If I was doing something that I really wanted to appeal to donors all over the world I would jump through the Kickstarter hoops, but since 98% of our donations are likely to come from Black Knight customers, linking from our own site, I felt that indiegogo would do just fine. Hopefully I'm right!

Pitching In - I am very grateful for everyone that is willing to volunteer not only a donation, but their time! I will definitely keep this in mind, and when we get to a point where people's time and labour can be used I will let people know! Maybe we'll have a couple work days where I'll supply the pizza and drinks and volunteers supply the muscle. Before we get to that though the pros need to come in, make their plans, knock out entrances through load-bearing walls - that sort of thing! We've also have a few people volunteer some of their own property towards the space, which of course is very generous!

Wargaming Tables - At the moment the plan is to follow the plan upstairs for the majority of the gaming space, which is to have 6' x 2.5' tables, with framed table-tops sitting on top. This will give us versatility and allow us to switch back and forth from a wargaming space to a card/board gaming space. However, we do plan on including 'Premium Tables' as mentioned above, which can be added to through stretch goals. These are permanent wargaming tables that we will just go to town on. On these we will definitely consider great extras like shelves for books, cup-holders, sideboards, drawers etc.
~The Black Knight
The Black Knight
Forum Warlord
Forum Warlord

Postby Nate_91 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:30 pm

I mean I am sure some of the people who play there who can do a lot of the trades work for a nominal fee if not free. Ie. electrical=me :D All that would be needed it permits and the material!!
Nate_91
Lowly Orc
Lowly Orc

Postby Brother Manard on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:03 pm

I could definitely help, not much with money, but I have had a lot of experience in reno's. Drywalling, and taping, also tile work and proffessional painting. Depending on how much there is to do, i could do it for free or some store credit if it takes many hours, for example multiple days over several weeks. I would deff. do it for cheap. But if it's just a few days of a few hours each i would do it for free. But i have done tonnes of drywalling and tapping as well as painting so let me know.
Brother Manard
Warrior
Warrior

Postby sgt no name on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:50 pm

this takes wargaming to a new level not only is it the top place to go for wargaming (in my opinion) now there is going to be some new things like a lounge foosball I cant wait for it
sgt no name
Swordsman
Swordsman

Postby Icewolf on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IX7Qcx174#!
http://igg.me/p/238110/x/528354

Both of these should be posted everywhere ASAP. Not just on a BKG forum thread, but other places like Twitter accounts, Facebook accounts, Wargamer forums, emails, etc. Anywhere it will get noticed.

I'd like to see it on the Miniwargaming site as "An alternative place to go since our store space is closing".
No? Anyone? ................ Maybe a little too soon.
Icewolf
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Forge on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Question: what happens when my 2 months of Stronghold Membership end? I won't be able to enter it and use the 6x4 tables, being limited to the 4x4 outside?
Forge
Warrior
Warrior

Next

Return to Black Knight Games News & Events